Rental agreements

Types of agreements

There are different types of rental agreements.

Alberta has 2 types of rental agreements:

  • fixed term 
  • periodic

Fixed term

A fixed term tenancy begins and ends on specific dates.

For example, a landlord and tenant may agree the tenancy will be for a fixed term of 2 years from January 1, 2012, to December 31, 2013. On December 31, 2013 at 12:00 noon, the tenancy will automatically end. No notice is required to end the tenancy by either the landlord or the tenant.


A periodic tenancy has a start date but no end date.

Either the landlord or tenant may end a periodic tenancy by giving notice. Most periodic tenancies are month-to-month, but they can also be week-to-week or year-to-year.

Boarding and employer accommodations

Boarding refers to accommodations where the landlord provides both the room and in some situations meals and the landlord doesn't live in the residence. The landlord decides whether the agreement will be a fixed or periodic term.

Employer accommodations refers to when an employer rents a residence to an employee.

Application of the legislation

The Residential Tenancies Act applies to tenants who rent residential premises, such as a house, apartments, mobile homes and duplexes.  The RTA also applies to a tenant who lives in a rental property for more than 6 consecutive months at a:

  • hotel
  • motel
  • motor hotel
  • resort
  • lodge
  • tourist camp
  • cottage
  • cabin located in a campground
  • trailer park
  • tourist home
  • bed and breakfast home
  • farm vacation home

Contact this service

Edmonton and area

toll free in Alberta

8:15 am - 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Related services

Residential Tenancies Act and Regulations