Identity theft

How it works

Protect your personal information from identity theft.

Identity theft happens when someone uses your personal information without your knowledge or permission. This includes someone using your:

  • name
  • social insurance number (SIN)
  • credit card number
  • other identifying information

Key Identity documents

  • Driver’s licence
  • Birth certificate
  • Social Insurance number (SIN) 
  • Permanent resident card 
  • Certificate of Canadian citizenship
  • Passport

Protecting yourself against identity theft

Be careful about what ID you provide to people or organizations. Main ID documents, such as birth certificates, driver’s licences and social insurance numbers can be used to produce other ID and access your personal and financial information. 

Keep track of bills and credit card statements. You may be a victim of identity theft if:

  • bills don’t arrive
  • statements show transactions you didn’t make
  • creditors ask you about an account or card you haven’t applied for

If you think someone is using your identity

If you think you have been a victim of identity theft, there are a few things you should do:

1. Record

Keep a record of all interactions, correspondence and what was said.

2. Contact police

Contact your local police and file a police report.

3. Fill out an Identity Theft Statement

Download the Identity Theft Statement (PDF, 7 pages). Use it to notify financial institutions, credit card issuers and other companies that you have been a victim of identity theft

4. Contact ID theft services

Call the major credit reporting agencies:
Equifax Canada (1-800-465-7166)
TransUnion of Canada (1-800-663-9980)

Both companies have procedures to deal with ID theft and will put a warning on your file. They can review copies of your credit record and report any false information.

Call Service Canada (1-800-206-7218) if your SIN card has been lost or stolen, or you believe someone is using it.

Call the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (1-888-495-8501). The information you give will help law enforcement agencies in possible investigations

If your debit or credit card is lost or stolen, call the card issuer as soon as you notice the card is missing.

What’s important to know

  • If your credit card was used after it was reported lost or stolen, your maximum liability is $50
  • If your lost or stolen card is used at an ATM and requires a PIN, you may be liable for all losses. Keep your PIN private

Other services

Contact these services toll-free if you are a victim of ID theft.

Customer Contact Center

  • 780-427-4088 in Edmonton
  • 1-877-427-4088 toll-free

Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta 

  • 1-888-878-4044

Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada

  • 1-800-282-1376

Industry Canada Office of Consumer Affairs 

  • 1-800-328-6189

Service Canada

  • 1-800-206-7218

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

  • 1-800-255-4541

Passport Canada

  • 1-800-567-6868

Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre

  • 1-888-495-8501

Contact this service

(Edmonton and area)

(Other areas in Alberta, toll free)

8:15 am - 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Related services

Identity Theft tip sheet (PDF, 8 pages)

Internet and Mobile Devices Safety and Social Media Tips (PDF, 4 pages)

Internet Shopping tip sheet (PDF, 4 pages)