There are steps you must take to get married in Alberta.
Before the marriage ceremony
- choose the style of marriage ceremony – religious or civil
- find a marriage officiant
- get a Marriage Licence
At the ceremony
- make sure all the requirements for ceremonies are followed
After the ceremony
- the marriage officiant keeps the marriage licence portion of the form and submits the Registration of Marriage portion for registration within 2 days of the ceremony
- the Registration of Marriage document is permanently archived with Alberta Vital Statistics
- the information on the Registration of Marriage is used to create government-issued marriage documents
- Alberta marriage certificates can be ordered at an Alberta registry agent office
- you need to amend the marriage document if there are errors
- in Alberta, you can keep your own last name or change your name when you get married
- if there are errors on your marriage document, an amendment is needed.