File a consumer complaint

How it works

You can file a complaint against a business, or a person running a business, for an unfair business or tenancy transaction.

The Consumer Investigations Unit (CIU) investigates complaints from Albertans about consumer transactions where a business has breached Alberta’s consumer protection or tenancy laws.

Most business to business transactions are not subject to consumer protection legislation.

Tenancy complaints

For tenancy complaints, the CIU can investigate offences under the law, and can take enforcement action if a violation is proven. The CIU does not have the power to mediate disputes over money owed or deductions to security deposits.

If you are trying to get money from your landlord or tenant, and if your claim is up to $50,000, you might be able to file your claim through the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service.

Areas covered by the Consumer Investigations Unit

The CIU can investigate complaints and transactions related to:

  • auctions
  • cemeteries
  • charitable fundraising
  • collection agencies
  • condominium developments
  • credit reports
  • door-to-door sales
  • employment agencies
  • energy marketing
  • gift cards
  • home inspections
  • landlords and tenants (mobile home sites and residential tenancies)
  • payday loans
  • prepaid contracting
  • time shares & travel clubs
  • unfair trade practices

Considerations for complaints

Every complaint is reviewed to see if an offence has occurred and if an investigation is needed. We consider several factors when reviewing a complaint, including but not limited to:

  • whether the issue falls under legislation we can handle
  • available evidence to support the complaint
  • if a business has prior complaint history
  • the number of people affected
  • the vulnerability of the consumers

Contact this service

1-877-427-4088 (toll free in Alberta)

Northern Alberta (north of Red Deer):

Southern Alberta (Red Deer and south)

8:15 am - 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Related services

Law Society of Alberta

Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service