The Consumer Investigations Unit investigates breaches of Alberta’s consumer protection legislation and takes enforcement action.
The Consumer Investigations Unit (CIU) investigates breaches of consumer protection legislation. The main focus of the investigation is to make sure Alberta’s consumer protection laws are being followed. At the end of the investigation, the investigator may recommend further action based on the facts of the case.
If an investigator determines that consumer protection violations need to be enforced, the CIU can:
- issue a warning to the business or individual
- under certain legislation, make recommendations for licensing actions, administrative penalties, undertakings and Director’s Orders
Problems opening PDF forms?
If your web browser does not open the PDF form, download the form then open the saved PDF using Adobe Reader. To do this:
- Right-click on the form link and select "Save Target As"
- Save the file to a known location on your system
- Open the file with Adobe Reader
NOTE: In some cases you may need to click on the "Enable All Features" button in Adobe Reader
Chrome, Firefox and Safari browsers may need to be configured to work with PDFs.
To open the PDF forms, you’ll need to use the current version of Adobe Reader.
Contact this service
(toll free in Alberta)
(north of Red Deer)
(Red Deer and south)
8:15 am - 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)