Update driving documents

Amend sex information

Apply to change the sex marker on your driver’s licence or identification card to "F", "M", or "X." 

An individual is eligible to amend the sex on their driver's licence or ID card if they are:

  • at least 18 years of age
  • presenting an amended birth certificate or record of birth at any age
  • less than 18 years of age, but are married or an adult interdependent partner
  • less than 18 years of age, and are providing both parents’ or their guardians’ consent 
  • less than 18 years of age, and there is a court order dispensing with the parents/guardians consent

To apply for a change to the sex marker on your licence or ID card:

  • Visit an Alberta registry agent and request the change
  • The registry agent will print off the application form with your updated information and ask you to verify the requested changes
  • For a replacement card, the total fee is $22 plus G.S.T. If extension of the expiry date is possible, the replacement card fee is not applicable. Only renewal fees will apply. 

Related Information

Consent to Amend Sex for a Minor (PDF, 156 KB)