Incorporate a business or organization

Out-of-province corporations

If your corporation was formed in another province or country, it must be registered to do business in Alberta.

Registering your corporation in Alberta removes the need to have separate corporations in every place your corporation does business.

Your corporation is considered to be carrying on business in Alberta if:

  • it solicits business in Alberta
  • its name, or any name under which it carries on business, is listed in an Alberta telephone directory or appears in any advertisement with an Alberta address
  • it has a resident agent, representative, warehouse, office or place of business in Alberta
  • it’s licensed or registered, or required to be licensed or registered, under any Act of Alberta allowing it to carry on business
  • it owns land in Alberta

What’s important to know

If your corporation’s home jurisdiction is British Columbia or Saskatchewan, there are special streamlined processes for you. Contact your home jurisdiction registry office for information.

BC Corporate Registry

Saskatchewan Corporate Registry


The service provider will charge a government fee and a service fee.

Registry agent product catalogue (PDF, 25 pages)

1.  Get an Alberta NUANS Report

You need to get an Alberta NUANS report and review it to make sure there are no corporations with identical names or names that are too similar to the name of your out-of-province corporation.

  • if another corporation feels your corporation’s name is too similar to theirs, they can file an objection through the Registrar of Corporations
  • if the Registrar agrees with the objection, your corporation can be forced to change its name
  • if your corporation's name is too similar to other corporation names in Alberta, , you can use an ‘assumed name’, which will require a separate NUANS report
  • you do not need a NUANS report when your out-of province corporation has a number name (assigned by its home province or country) or was formed under the Canada Business Corporations Act
    • the NUANS report reserves the proposed name for 90 days.
    • The complete report, whether an original or fax copy, must be submitted with the corporation registration details and must be less than 91 days old.

Find a NUANS service provider

2.  Appoint an attorney for service in Alberta

The attorney will represent your corporation in Alberta and can accept service of legal documents at an address in the province.

The attorney doesn’t have to be a lawyer. It could be the Alberta manager of your extra-provincial corporation, or an accountant.

3.  Gather supporting documents

You’ll need to gather copies of your charter, or formation, documents. They must be certified by a:

  • company official
  • notary public
  • government official

These documents include one of the following:

  • a statute, ordinance or other law incorporating an extra-provincial corporation
  • letters patent of incorporation and any supplementary letters patent
  • memorandum of association, including changes to the memorandum
  • any certificate, licence or other instrument that provides proof of incorporation and all changes to those documents
  • if the charter is from outside Canada and has not been written in English, you’ll also need to provide a notarized translation of the documents
  • proof of current corporation status in your home registration – this is usually a document issued by the Corporate Registry office in your home jurisdiction

4.  Fill out the forms

Statement of Registration (PDF, 4 pages)

Notice of Attorney (PDF, 1 page)

Notice/Cancellation of Assumed Name (PDF, 2 pages)

Note:  To download PDF documents, right-click and select 'save as' and save to your computer.

5.  Take your information to a service provider

You need to take your forms to a registry agent or authorized Alberta service provider. You’ll need to take your:

  • registration forms
  • charter documents
  • NUANS report
  • valid ID
  • fee payment

If your information meets requirements, the service provider will enter it into the Corporate Registry and give you a certificate of incorporation.

Find a service provider