What’s important to know
- There’s no fee for a Disinter/Reinter Permit.
- It usually takes 2 – 3 business days to process an application. If information is missing, an application will be delayed.
- Documents are sent by regular mail. For special arrangements or rush service options, speak with the Vital Statistics office.
1. Complete the form
- You can get the Affidavit-Disinter/Reinter Permit Application form from a funeral home or the Vital Statistics office
- At this point, you should not sign the affidavit
2. Go to a Notary Public or a Commissioner for Oaths
Take the completed application to a Notary Public or Commissioner for Oaths to complete the signature part of the affidavit.
3. Obtain a copy of the cause of death or stillbirth (as is applicable)
- If the death/stillbirth occurred within Alberta you don’t have to get a copy of the Medical Certificate of Death or Medical Certificate of Stillbirth. Vital Statistics will check its records for the document they need
- If the death/stillbirth occurred outside Alberta you must get a Medical Certificate of Death or Medical Certificate of Stillbirth (or equivalent) from the jurisdiction where the death/stillbirth occurred
4. Submit your application
Mail the original Affidavit Disinter/Reinter Permit Application form and Medical Certificate of Death or Medical Certificate of Stillbirth (if applicable) to Vital Statistics.
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7